Saturday, August 22, 2009

Why Jamie?

When i was looking at my cookbooks and trying to decide which one to begin my journey, I really didn't expect this one to make the cut. I knew I wanted to start Italian because of both its simplicity, availability of ingredients, and my own taste preferences. I've got this great "cucina rustica" book as well as a few by some other better known chefs, but in the end, after revisiting a few recipes from each I decided Jamie was closest to both my style and attitude.

While Jamie covers many different regions and their local foods, he focuses primarily on Roman and Sicilian cuisine. Although my time in Bologna made me rather biased toward the Emiglia Romana cuisine, it's not easy and often heavy.

Additionally, Jamie likes veggies. Not just to use as a side here and there, but, in his own words, "cook them nicely, dress them with care and you'll be laughing." That was pretty much the experience I had when I was in Italy, and while I do use a lot of vegetables in my cooking, I'm always looking for ways to expand. I got caught in a bit of a tomato/pepper/onion thing for a while.

Stay tuned.

No comments: