Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ricotta Fritta

Romans like to fry lots of things, including cheese. When I say fry I don't mean like the deep oil dip - I mean more like a pan sear, but they have the same word for it - fritto. I read the recipe for "ricotta fritta" and thought this would be a perfect dish. In a lot of ways it was, except perhaps in looks.

Jamie's got this lovely picture of an omlette like thing next to a pile of quartered and marinated mixed tomatoes. Yum. This is one of those recipes where I feel like the folks from chef's illustrated would have been a little more helpful. How did he get it to look so pretty?

I tried it in several batches, lowering and increasing the heat, with and without olive oil, a minute here or there, but by the end of my batch I had come up with something that tasted amazing, but didn't have the 'crisp' consistency he bragged about at the end of his recipe. Something to work on in the future.

No comments: