Monday, January 18, 2010

Leek and Potato Soup


Soups. I've never actually made my own soup before, so this was a true pleasure just to begin this journey. Whether it's the economy, the season, or the abundance of really good soup recipes out there, I've noticed an upsurge in soup-cookbooks and even high-end soups in restaurants. And it's easy to understand why: put a few good ingredients together, spice it just right, and bam, you have something that tastes like it took you hours but wasn't that hard in the end.

This one came from Jamie Oliver's "Food Revolution." It's somewhere between an Italian and Greek interpretation. While the recipe called for this soup to be served 'a la chunk' - that is, it is chunky and cooked form - I decided to pull out my immersion blender, add a tbsp of butter and a little extra virgin olive oil, and see what I could do. Topped with a little fresh chili and a dollop of greek yogurt, this was a quick, filling, and warming soup that will be added to the 'make again' list.

No comments: